blog banner900

blog banner900

Monday, January 18, 2010

Review of St. George IM course

I'm back from training on the St. George IM course. Yeah! Now come all the adjustments to my taining and here is my impression, people.... Please let me know what you think, also, because I would certainly love to hear it.

I really don't know what to think. Will it be hard? Certainly.

I need more hill training and then some more hill training and then maybe I will do some more hill training. I did not underestimate the hills, but it was a great reminder not to take every training opportunity seriously. I don't think you can slide by with just long rides for this one.

I expected more gradual hills on the bike course. The slight down breaks were great on the bike. The area is beautiful. I was watching the old pioneer houses, kilns, etc. and can't wait to see it green up. I don't think the course map is really reflective of how it felt to ride. Elevatuation charts are bizarre! There are some crazy-steep hills that can emotionally get you when you're approaching them, but I felt okay on the climbs. Second time around will be hard. In fact, as I was riding it, I thought they might have a cut-off time half-way through for the bike, and they do. If you don't get the first loop done fast enough, you won't be doing the second one.

I love the run course. It is by far the hardest marathon course I have ever done, but for some reason, I really enjoy it. I can get in a groove on the long assents and just keep plugging away. I am excited to finish. When I ran to the end, today, it reminded me of the last miles of the marathons I have ran on the same road and it brought back great memories. I was almost in tears, anticipating the finish line for the Ironman.

By comparison, the ride is not as bad as the Alpine loop. The assents are further apart and don't last as long, but when you get to a hill, it is very steep. The descent back to St. George is long and straight, and you can let it go. No grabbing of the breaks necessary. Oh, and one other thing... the road out is NOT smooth. It is rough and quite bumpy. It's hard to get going fast when the terrain will allow it.

I can't wait to go back and train. I only did one loop of the bike course because we got there so late and finished in the dark (and cold). It rained this morning and so I only got about 12 miles of the run in, but I know what to expect.

I will add more weight workouts for my legs, less long hills, and more short, power hills for the run and the bike. Hope it isn't as windy and rainy as it was today....

No comments:

Post a Comment