blog banner900

blog banner900

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Cross-training for triathlon

Is cross training for triathlon insane? Isn't triathlon itself cross training? Up until now, I thought the craziest thing I had ever done was swim across deer creek and back (2.5 miles) after doing a 3,500 meter swim in the morning, and a 6 mile run.

However, I have a bunch of crazy friends that leave me wondering why I let them get me into certain situations. Today they decided I should take a break from the regular swim, bike, run, and go snowshoeing. Sounds great!

Well... when one was hesitant and then backed out, I should have known it wasn't just a pretty little hike ("just a walk") up the hill to get out of the smog! 3 hours later, 6 miles later, and 2700 feet of elevation gain, blazing our own trail through snow so deep my poles did not hit solid ground when they went down, I was exhausted.

When everyone else showed up with poles, camelbaks and food, I should have been tipped off. We've run up some pretty steep terrain, logging 9 or so miles and no one carried supplies, then. I thought this workout would compare. How wrong I was!

Dear friends of mine, and you know who you are, you are crazy, fun, amazing and inspiring. I would NEVER think of a workout like this on my own. You truly help me push to my limits and yes, I did take a nap this time when I got home!

No comments:

Post a Comment