blog banner900

blog banner900

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Xterra Worlds, Maui. Part 1. To Swim or not to Swim...

Maui, Xterra Worlds in 2016 was a second try for me. The first time I raced Xterra Maui was in 2014. That seemed like a long time ago and it was obvious I was out of my comfort zone and ability level then. 2016 was the same. Out of my comfort zone and overwhelmed, but some things were familiar. Familiar surrounding, familiar course, familiar people.

Swimming in Maui becomes my least favorite part of Xterra. Normally swimming calms my fears at the beginning of a race. In Maui I watch the large swells from the ocean hitting the beach and wonder how to get out past the surf and back in safely. Two years ago, during a practice swim, I made it out and couldn't figure out how to get back to shore. A kind swimmer swam by when I was stuck in the calm, past the turbulence and asked me if I was okay. She gave me pointers on how to make it back safely. That was my now coach, Jacqui Allen. This year she met me for a quick lesson and tips on diving under the large swells to get out past the break, how to anticipate the waves coming back, and how to avoid having my head being pounded into the sand as I exit the ocean. I'm pretty sure she was as nervous for me as I was after meeting with me. She probably realized my complete incompetence in ocean/large wave swimming.

All week it rained. Each day after my arrival, it continued to rain. I describe my 2016 Maui experience as, "I was always wet." Pre-riding the bike course was out of the question. True to Xterra spirit they assured us the race would happen on race day. Even the pros seemed nervous about the conditions and that is saying something! Everyone wanted a chance to race their best on the day and Mother Nature was sure to challenge our "best".

Not knowing anything about Maui mud, I asked questions. The local bike shops and some pros such as Josiah Middaugh talked about getting a "mud" tire instead of a race tire up front. I made the change for confidence, not knowing the difference it would make. Maui mud is not like Utah clay. Utah clay sucks you in and you stop moving. Maui mud turns slick and smooth like an ice skating rink or bobsled track.

After the short swim practice with coach, I pretended I could handle this. Pretty sure she saw through me. I doubted I would start the race. If I did start there was a good chance (in my mind) that I wouldn't make it to the muddy bike course!

Athletes waiting for the start
Race day arrived. The ocean was a giant swell of water walls that kept coming and coming. Clouds were gathering. It was apparent it would rain yet again despite the fact it was race day. How did I handle it? I sat on the beach and cried. At the back of the athletes standing on the edge of the ocean anxiously awaiting their wave start, I sat on a log and cried. Yep. Truth.

The women's wave is the last to leave the Maui beach. I could hear breathless "Ohs" as the men entered the water and a large, overwhelming swell reached the surf. I tried` hard not to look at the water. If I didn't watch the swells, when it was time to start, I'd just walk out into the ocean and "give it a go" as coach would say.
Men's wave heading out
Finally it was time to enter the water. With a big breath and one last look at my husband, I faced the water. In a few seconds I found myself following the crowd of women facing the large waves.  I walked forward through the water as others ran and then dove under the swell as coach taught me, trying to grab the sand underneath and force myself forward to come out on the other side, hopefully a little further out in the bay. There is a point when you realize you are committed. It is too late to go back. Forward is the only option. 

Xterra swims are unique in that you get the opportunity to swim out, swim back to the beach, stand up and run on the beach around flags then head back into the water to do another lap. This is a cool opportunity you don't get to do if you are doing an Ironman. However, in Maui, this means you have to get in and out of the surf two times. As I headed back in to shore on the first lap, my thoughts were focused solely on not getting my head slammed into the sand. This happened in 2014. When exiting a lake swim, once the water is so low you are grabbing the sand, it is time to stand up and run out. In Maui, I stood up. The water was leaving the shore and only ankle deep. I started running for the flags, only to be slammed head-first into the sand by a wave well over my head. This year I knew it could happen and looked back over my shoulder, stayed low, straighten my body with my arms tight over my head and stiff as a board I rode the wave into shore! 

Heading back out the second time was a more positive experience. I had done it once, the race had started and I was committed. But by now, the wind and rain were picking up. Pros were already out on the bike course. There was no line of athletes coming in and out of the water. It was a mass of athletes going in all directions. I actually had a head-on with two swimmers coming in as I was headed out. It was impossible to "sight" for the buoys. The water was chopping and wavy. Most of the time it seemed as though I was in a low part of the wave, unable to see any markers. I tried to stay pointed "out", following others and lining up with the safety boats and surfers lining the course. 
Running to shore
Somewhere going out to the second turn around, I suddenly felt like laughing. The rain was coming down harder and the wind had picked up significantly. This whole experience seemed completely ludicrous. I couldn't believe we were actually doing this. It was CRAZY!
Once again I rode a wave into shore, but this time I didn't plan it exactly right and didn't get the boost I did the first time. Oh, well. I looked over my shoulder, realized it was safe, stood up and ran to get away from any swells that might be chasing me. 

On tv the Xterra run from the beach to bike transition looks flat. It isn't. If you decide to do this race, you should know. Also, When you watch on tv you might get the impression that the top of "Razor Ridge" is the last of the climbing or the half-way point. It isn't. You should know. 

And this is the end of Part 1.


No comments:

Post a Comment