blog banner900

blog banner900

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Through Cactus Alley and then home! Maui Part III

Racking my muddy bike was a great feeling. Exchanging my muddy bike shoes for clean running shoes was heaven. Off went the helmet and muddy gloves. Sunglasses up on my head, grab a quick drink from my bottle, grab some more gels for my pocket, put my race number on and I was off for the last event of the day. Lori was right by my side as we exited through "run out".

The six-plus mile run starts gradually uphill through the same tunnel and then gets steeper. A throws few hills are thrown in on top before the relief of heading down to the finish. I always start slow. I wasn't sure how I was feeling. It had been a long, exhausting day already and pushing the run on empty the first mile could make it a longer day than if I eased into it and paced myself. 

Lori and I walked/ran for the first mile. We talked about the bike course. It seemed that I was feeling pretty good, but I don't think she was. About 1.5 miles in, we finally parted ways. I figured it was good to start running a little and see how it would go. 

Even though this run is hard, I kind of like it. I walked/ran the first section and then started to feel quite good as I ran around the pond. The down hill is great. It isn't rocky, but there are a few root-y parts to watch out for. I start to feel a flow on the down hill section of this course but the tired feeling settles in, too. There is a point where you have to jump over some trees that have fallen across the path. Each year I plan to jump them like the pros do. Each year, I barely slide my body over them. I would never be able to jump them at this point in the game. There is another larger tree you must duck to run under. Disoriented, I'm afraid I won't get low enough and run my head straight into it!

But, I'm usually fine. After some great downhill running there is one small but steep uphill on a paved road that seems to appear suddenly. It took me by surprise again this year. It's probably 200 meters long, but it feels like forever when my legs are just. Dead.

Then you run down through Cactus Alley to the beach. Crowds are cheering, people are sun bathing and playing in the ocean. I think I'll sprint across the beach and up one more time to the grassy uphill finish. I always stay high on the beach, drawing the straight line along the flags which is a few feet shorter than running closer to the water and back up.

Beach run to the finish
This is a mistake. The sand is deep and impossible to run through. If you run down closer to the water, it is hard packed and easier.

A very muddy finish
I came up onto the grass and ran to the finish line. I cannot get enough of this race. It tests my absolute limits from overcoming the fear of ocean swimming with only a "skin suit", to testing my resolve to quiet my screaming legs through all the climbing on the bike, to dealing with heat, humidity, rain, and mud. Someday I hope to finish feeling like I conquered. But for now, I am one happy survivor.

No comments:

Post a Comment