blog banner900

blog banner900

Sunday, May 1, 2011

As Ironman day approaches, more and more people ask me why I do Ironman. I've put a lot of thought into that question, due to my lack of training this season and my recent bike crash.
Picture of my knee before rock removal, stitches and swelling!
Why AM I doing this? What purpose could the desire to test the ends of my limits possibly accomplish? Well, I've come up with three reason I insist on participating in the insanity. But I should warn you that my personal reasons are not as noble as you might hope.

First, Ironman training gives me a great excuse to sleep in the middle of the day.

Second, Ironman gives me an excuse to buy equipment. Shoes, tri clothes, new bikes and all the gear that goes with it. It's like Christmas in May.

Last, and most importantly: Ironman gives me an excuse to eat. I love to eat. I love food. I realized how much this week as my thoughts went to what I will eat when the race is over. I dream about this every marathon, and every Ironman I train for. Where will I go out to eat? What will I order? I think about it like the great reward it is. When things get tough on the race course, I remind myself what I've decided I'll eat when I'm done, and it helps me through those moments.

A few weeks ago, I realized that I judge a race by the post-race meal. Without realizing it, I have been doing that for years. Boise 70.3 is one of my favorite races. When people ask why, I don't talk about the volunteers, the course, or anything except the food. One year we got steak tacos. Another year, athletes received sliders. You just can't beat warm food after a rainy, windy, evening finish of a long race. I have doubts about doing Oceanside 70.3 again because they served cold pizza! The course and weather were perfect, but I guess I'm just in it for the food!

Training articles say you shouldn't hope to lose weight by restricting calories during Ironman training. I take this advise to heart. This gives me every excuse to compete with Michael Phelps on a daily basis. When my husband takes me out to dinner, I order two entrees. The look on a waitress' face... Last year my husband's boss took the employees and their wives out to a Brazilian BBQ. As I came back from the All-you-can-eat salad bar for my last time, I realized they were actually laughing at me because of the amount of food I was able to eat. Just one of my most embarrassing moments.

A good friend told me that Ironman Cozumel and Brazil have great race food. Apparently it begins early with awesome dried bananas on the bike course. As we ran our 6 miles that day, she told me of the available smorgasbord at these events. I think I'll add these to a long list of races I'd like to do one day. After all, for me, it's about the food!

And now, I need to turn my thoughts to final preparations for Ironman St. George. Where and what will I be eating late on Saturday night?

No comments:

Post a Comment