blog banner900

blog banner900

Saturday, August 22, 2015

Back on Track

Feeling an overwhelming sense of gratitude for those who took a few minutes to stop and help me, I got back on my bike and began again. I was happy people would alert the aid station so that plans to help me get back on the bike as soon as possible were in place. Two of these were my "competition". It's nice to know that people are basically good and kind. I will try to pay this forward in my races. What's more important? Helping someone, or trying to PR?
One of my friends, rocking the bike!

SOAS team mate passing.
Everyone's havin' fun!
Now in the back of the race, I realized I was catching up to people again. Before long, I had the chance to "pay it forward", but couldn't. One of the men who had stopped for me had a broken chain. That is not the way Karma is supposed to operate and I couldn't help him. Throughout the rest of the course, I passed a few people that were struggling, but it came down to one guy in red, an older lady than me (!) and me. I was the strongest on the climbs so I was catching the lady but she had passed me at the beginning of my troubles and so for me to be closing the gap, was a great feeling. The guy was definitely more confident on the down hills. The older lady was consistent.

So this is how it was playing out. The lady was in front and just stayed there, but it was a yo-yo effect behind her. Wen the guy in red would struggle on the hill, she'd open a gap. As he struggled, I would catch up and pass him. When there was a down hill, the lady in front of me would open a small gap, and the guy would pass me. This went on for a few miles until there was only about 2.5 left.

I was still feeling strong and there is a pretty good, longer-ish climb coming up from the meadow. We had just come down a long decent so the guy in red and the other lady had opened up the by now, well-known-gap. But as they hit the last big climb, I saw that I was definitely gaining. And pretty quickly. The other crazy thing I saw was the lady in blue and white that had first helped me when my pedal hit the dirt! The second half was definitely faster for me than for her if I had caught her with still 2 miles to go.

I knew as I headed through the last miles my husband would be somewhere on the course and he was probably worried about me because it had taken so long. I was feeling great and needed to at least let him know I was happy, having fun, and feeling great. No crashes, physically, mentally, or energy-wise.

I passed the guy in red. I passed the older lady, I caught up to the helpful lady in blue and white. As I approached, I thanked her. She expressed relief to know that I had indeed, not DNF'd. As we hit a wide dirt road downhill, I saw my husband and smiled. Said I was okay, but it hadn't gone well,  mechanically! He knew just the right thing to say to lift my spirits.

"The kids took 2nd and 3rd out of everyone in their race!" He yelled as I flew by. He always knows the right thing to say. My kids were racing in a practice race back home. And as the minutes ticked by, he began to think of all the things that might have happened in the 14 miles I'd been gone. He said at that point, he thought that he should call the kids and ask them how it went. He knew that would give me the boost I needed. It worked.

The older lady, the helpful lady, the guy in red and I entered transition within seconds, I think.

Anxious to get going, I hurried through transition. I could tell from my watch that even with the 17 minute delay, I was close to last year's time. Depending on my legs. I had fueled properly, so it might be close. Off went the gloves, and the shoes. On went my sunglasses, running shoes, and race belt. I sprinted out of transition. I had only taken a couple of steps through transition and as I approached the water table at the end, I realized I still had my hydration pack on my back. It was bouncing around and really annoying me. It was only a 5 mile run and there were a couple of aid stations. I wasn't going to be annoyed by the bouncing on my back for 5 miles!

I ran up to a volunteer. "I don't think I'll need this! My number is...... Can you return it to my spot?" I asked as I unclipped the pack from my back.

With a great big smile, like volunteers sometimes have, she handed me a water and said, "Sure! But do you think you'll be needing your helmet? Or do you want me to take that, too?"

OH MY GOSH! I have been embarrassed before, but this was somewhere in the top 20. Everyone started laughing. Even me...

MISTAKE #8. Don't be in too big of a hurry!

On the run course, I did walk a few hills, but I tried to power walk them. I stopped to get a real drink of water at the aid stations and not just run through, spilling most of it. I passed a few people at the beginning. After the first mile, you begin climbing a steep-ish hill that lets you see behind you for a while. No one I went into transition with was in sight. I wondered where they were. As I looked ahead, there was a guy limping and as I passed he said a bike crash had caused the limp, but he was going to finish. I hoped he was okay.

I caught up and passed another girl. She was very steady and I decided that should be my tactic. Don't get too anxious to prove something. Sprinting past anyone at this point was silly. There was still 4 miles to go, and we were sort of all in this together. We were at the back of the race, encouraging each other to soldier on.

I caught up to another guy with about 1.5 miles to go. At this point, I didn't think I'd really see anyone else. They were either too far ahead or too far behind. We power-walked the hill and then I said goodbye and began the run down the double track. It felt good to know the course because I knew there was one more climb to the end. I'm not sure if it is steep, but it feels that way. Perception and reality differ at the end of an XTerra at 8,000+ ft. elevation!

Loving this section!
I ran on the single track up the hill. It is a beautiful little section winding through the trees.
Cresting the final single track hill
You come out onto double track, with everyone who has already finished cheering you on as you go around the circle and finish! I actually got to the double track and took a few steps walking just to catch my breath. Some guy said something about only 100 m to go, keep going. I felt kind of stupid walking right then, so I immediately began running (in my fashion, of course) to  the finish.
The Finish
I finished feeling GREAT. We sat and chatted and discussed the race. My good friend said the same thing happened to her in the swim, hence we exited at the same time. Aw! that makes sense.

I took 2nd in my AG, after another friend who rocks! I knew she'd do great. I won two pairs of Darn Tough Socks, which at this point in my life is the PERFECT prize. On my priority list for prizes: socks, gloves (for my son) and then tires. I really need to win some new tires....

I was only 3 minutes slower than last year. The swim was faster, the run was faster and the actual moving time on the bike was faster. Now I can get ready for Iroman 70.3 Worlds. Still haven't run more than 6 miles all at once!





No comments:

Post a Comment