blog banner900

blog banner900

Friday, December 19, 2014

Off Season Resolve

It's the off season and this triathlete is close to thumping her head against the wall. So, this morning I resolved to break out of the dull-drums (do people USE that word anymore?) and do something unique, different, out of the ordinary. Something that is a stretch for me. Something I wouldn't normally do.

For some, they might sign up for the new Ironman Silverman in NV. No, that's something I WOULD do. I need something really challenging and completely off the grid. My mind instantly thought of something, but can I do it? Is it even possible?

Drum roll ---I thought the CRAZIEST thought! Go to a movie and eat movie popcorn!!!

For you movie goers out there, I am not dis'ing on you. Not at all. You are my heroes. This is a feat rarely attempted in my life. I've done more Ironmans and half Ironmans than times I've attended the movie theater. I've ran more marathons. When I remarked to the Computer Guy what I'm actually considering,  maybe overcoming huge obstacles and attempting such a thing, his brow furrowed. "I've think you've actually done that once, a few years ago." I was shocked, "I have?! Did I eat the popcorn?!"

"I think so," was his very unsure response.

This is why hoping on a mountain bike and hurling myself downhill for the first time was easier than going to a movie. This is why deciding to swim 2.4 miles when I didn't know my local pool was actually 50m and not 100m. (I was SURE one time down was as long as 100m! HEHEHE. It still makes me laugh when I think of this guy's face when I asked if it was a 100m length pool.....)

Anyway, back on track. First, I don't actually know of any movies that are playing. I only watch skiing races - if I'm training indoors. Go Ted Ligety!

Next, theaters are so uncomfortable. Granted, I haven't been in quite a few years, so maybe they've changed. However, my kids still remember the last time I went with them, I fell asleep, curled up like a cat in the seat. It wasn't comfortable, but that's what happened. They were super, duper impressed that their mom is probably the only mom that can curl up in a movie theater seat. Yes, Multiple Ironman's and a few XTerra's later and THIS is what impresses them!

There is a separate issue from movie theater comfort, but sort of goes along with it: I am always so COLD in the theater. I don't want to carry a quilt in just so stay warm. I'm old, but not that old! When it is 46 outside, I jump up, grab my shorts and a long sleeve shirt and head out for a run. That's the best temperature for running! And yes, I hate swimming in cold lake water, but if it is around 54-56 I'm EXCITED because I KNOW I'll be leading my Age Group out of the swim. However, 70 in a movie theater? Really? Not happening.

Another problem getting me to a movie is they always show it in the dark. I, know, right? For some reason I hate watching things in the dark. The lights have to be on. I can't explain it, it's weird. I had a easier time in the Boise 70.3 rainstorm doing 40 mph downhill from the Lucky Peak Dam, rain streaming down my glasses and not being able to see anything, than watching a movie in the dark.

Another difficulty I can't overcome is how LOUD the sound is. I stood next to the cannon at XTerra World's in Maui. It was a rookie mistake. I was so nervous, I didn't see the cannon. Right there. Until they fired it off. Movies are louder than that.

But it is the off season, and I am going nuts. I need to do something different and out of the ordinary to keep me sane. Will setting a new goal and rising to a new challenge help? Eating the movie popcorn would be the ultimate "Out there" thing to do. If I go, I have to eat the movie popcorn and I'm not sure I can actually do that....




1 comment:

  1. I think the word you want is "doldrums". Where do you live? I train year-round here in Az. Just mix it up a little- more trail running/hiking, mountain biking and lots of yoga/strength training through Dec., Jan- then hit it again it Feb. fro spring tris/runs. Movies are ok too though! (I don't like the theater either and it has to be a good movie for me to go!) Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete