blog banner900

blog banner900

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Oh, the "Off Season"! Part I

Is there an "Off Season" in triathlon? It appears my coach has never heard of such a thing. I've only had one day "off" in over a year. (Besides the built-in necessary recovery days). That was Christmas Day. Not even a day off after racing! Kind of like being a mom. You can't just not be a parent even for a day. Guess you can't not be a triathlete, either! For example, each month I get a schedule that includes a weekly "brick" workout. A "brick" is when you combine a bike workout with a run afterwards. There is enough time between the two events to simply slurp down a gel, get a drink, and change shoes. Most triathletes I know don't "brick" on race weeks, but yes, even then, I have one of these crazy workouts before a race. No kidding. If you are talking consistency, you have met my coach. But, in my mind, I pretend I get an "Off Season" so I don't burn out. That's why I am writing this blog about this time of year. It probably isn't "Off", but I call it that. It makes me feel better.

The physical aspect of Training during the "Off Season" (Sounds contradictory, doesn't it, but just go with it, please...)

First, a lot of sleep seems to be required. I'm still trying to figure out why, but that's the way it is. So, sleep whenever you can. Guilt sometimes envelopes me like a very large, warm quilt, but it can't be helped. I tend to fall asleep under a cover of guilt quite often because I should be doing something else, but I'm just too tired. Don't fight it. If you need more sleep, succumb.

Food is another concern during this time, also. What to eat before a workout (that won't upset my stomach and gives me energy), what to eat during a hard workout (that won't upset my stomach and gives me energy), what to eat directly after my workout (that won't upset my stomach and replaces my energy), and what to eat the rest of the day that doesn't require too much preparation (because it takes too much energy). I think you get the drift here. Shopping, planning, and preparing meals is more difficult than it sounds.

Today, as I was walking out the door, for yet another long "brick", this is what I wanted to take for my ride and run...


This is what I chose instead...


If you are wondering why I have a pile of candy in my house, it was Halloween, remember? And my husband bought WAY TO MUCH, thank you.

Next, my "Off Season" has a lot of strength work in it. Ouch. I've never enjoyed strength workouts. I just do it because I'm like that. It's on the schedule. This time of year it's lots of leg stuff. Built on already tired legs.

Legs already tired because there seems to be a lot of base work. Long rides. Long runs. Swims not as long as they used to be, so no complaining there!

Workouts each seem to include a large block of something else Joel Friel would approve of: skill and drill work. I do a lot of swimming drills. They are very enjoyable. Drills break up long swim sessions and put my brain into gear. With a good warm up, heavy drill set, followed by a main set and cool down, poof! You're done with the swim before you know it and you covered lots of distance. Or at least the same 50 meters over and and over again!

I also include bike drills before a ride. And there are run drills before a run. These are great fun! (NO, that is NOT sarcastic.) What makes the run drills fun is the whole experience. Many times I do these in a parking lot at a trail head before my trail run. People come and go. The Fed Ex guy comes quite often. He parks and looks over the valley. That's really what most people do when they drive up there. I wonder if he is ahead of schedule. I wonder if he thinks I look weird doing these weird-looking drills. Another guy comes almost every day. Since I live in a small town, we will not mention specifics. (Sometimes I pretend my town is like a quaint little town in an Agatha Cristie novel.) Back on subject: this guy smokes a really awesome smelling pipe. I wonder what he thinks. About health (his, mostly, as he smokes). I wonder if he wonders if he could do the drills. Mostly, I wonder if he thinks I look weird.

On rainy days, I run a different trail. It goes through the community, behind homes. As I do the running drills, back and forth past the houses, next to the school yard, or across from a large farm, I watch the guy on his tractor, or the people working on their homes. I wonder what they are thinking, too. It's entertaining! Back and forth I go. Lots of miles for very little distance. It's like swimming in the pool, really.

I'm pretty sure not everyone's "Off Seasons" are like mine. But, this is becoming quite a habit. I enjoy the steady, consistent workouts. The physical aspect of working through the "Off Season" is fairly easy. The mental aspect of hanging in there is another story altogether.





No comments:

Post a Comment